Antique Black and White Striped Bookcase: Bun-Footed Bounty

I have this thing for bun feet. Just like curvy table legs, they tend to attract my attention. Sometimes almost single-mindedly so. I recently bought a disaster of a dresser just because it had great feet. I assumed the rest would be just as great, but I didn’t really notice the rotten construction until I got it home. I’m going to have to save the drawers and hardware and junk the body. But that’s another post. Back to the feet that drew me to this piece:bun footed bookcase before

Look at them! Adorable and round; they have such presence, and promise. My dubious husband looked at them and noted, “They’re cracked!” And I said, “Yeah, isn’t that cool?” Really, you can’t ask for a cooler antique feature than cracks in the feet. Of the furniture, of course. But, further, the other elements of the antique piece worked so well with the feet: the drawer, hardware, scrolling, and wood–worn, dinged, scratched, and perfect for paint!

bun feet

Now look at them! Polished, distressed, and really, really, cute. Along with the rest of the bookcase. By the way, the shelves are cracked, too. Bonus!

bun footed bookcase front

bun footed bookcase stripes

bookcase pull

Can you imagine this warm, witty piece in your study or den?

Update: SOLD

Linking up with: Common GroundElizabeth & Co.,  The Shabby Nest,  Miss Mustard Seed,  Redoux Interiors

About these ads

About Leslie Howard

I love color, painting, furniture and architecture. The world is a better place when we have wonderful things to feast our eyes on!
This entry was posted in Painted Furniture and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Antique Black and White Striped Bookcase: Bun-Footed Bounty

1. Mary says:

wow, you have such an eye for doing this kind of thing. You turned a nice, but dull piece of furniture into something showstopping – fabulous!

2. Leslie says:

Thank you, Mary!

3. Stunning! Great job!

4. corneliawinn says:

I love the stripes!!

5. This piece is incredible! I would put that in my house.

6. Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my new Empire craziness. I love this piece and would also comment on your table… but I’ll do that here! The scrolls on the top are beautifully done!

7. Angela says:

Gorgeous makeover! I love black furniture and the stripes add such a fun touch.

Angela

P.S. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. I love the dresser you mentioned, too. It is two-toned with a marble top. :)

8. Jan says:

I too, am a huge fan of bun feet! And I love the stripes in the back!
    Great job!
    Jan
    PS ~ I got here by way of Elizabeth & Co.

9. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says:

Oh how pretty – love those stripes!

10. totally too cool for words