I’ve Got a Groovy Kind of Hutch

I have a friend with whom I go picking from time to time. Donna loves to pick thrift shops and other places that have unreachable piles. She likes to climb, poke, dig, and discover. I don’t. I really prefer that things be obvious. At one of her favorite pile shops, a small warehouse type of place, I was done looking, but, as usual, Donna was not. So while I was waiting to help her if she tripped on something (which never happens, thankfully), I spied some very cool hardware through a space between piles.

The hardware warranted a closer look. Surprisingly, I pawed over to whatever it was that was sporting the hardware, and discovered a very 1960′s brown wood hutch, shoved into a corner, piled with things, getting dripped on by the leaky roof. So this is what happens when you get curious! It was large, and someone had already bought it months before and couldn’t fit it in his car, so he left it. The manager of the shop had shoved it out of the way in case the buyer came back, but since he didn’t, I got it for way less. Of course, I had to borrow a truck and Mr. City Girl to get it home, but it was so worth it!

DSC_0589

It was missing its doors, but I liked it better that way. It also seemed to beg for a statement color–nothing subtle. It needed work on the veneer, and lots of filling and sanding, but it was in great condition otherwise and had fantastic hardware, far-out curves on the large drawers, and that mid-century simplicity that is so appealing. I used an intense orange, teal, and some white, making it very hip, I think:

Groovy Hutch 1

Groovy Hutch preview

Groovy Hutch 2

Groovy Hutch 3

Mr. City Girl used to be very into oldies, so when he heard the name of the piece, it reminded him of a song, hence the title of this post. This fabulous, roomy, none-too-serious hutch is available in my Etsy shop. I can see it used for shoes and sweaters in your bedroom, books in your hipster library, or traditionally, in your eclectic kitchen or dining room.

The painting is by me. The decanter is vintage Blenko, originally collected by my parents.
I love reading your comments, and I generally reply by email.
You can follow me on facebook, too!
This project was featured on Apartment Therapy!

About these ads

About Leslie Howard

I love color, painting, furniture and architecture. The world is a better place when we have wonderful things to feast our eyes on!
This entry was posted in Painted Furniture and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to I’ve Got a Groovy Kind of Hutch

1. Susan McCall says:

Hutch looks great. I wish I had a picking buddy. One with a truck would be nice.

2. Rae Bond says:

This looks fantastic! Such a chic and original take. Very clever!

3. JaneEllen says:

Oh do I love that hutch. I’d buy it and replace two cupboards in my kitchen. It would be perfect, just the kind of thing I have in mind. Love the colors, so alive. You did a great job on that hutch, lucky you finding it.

4. This looks great….paint can change anything!

5. The colors look wonderful together! So bright, funky, and happy! Love it!

6. Megan says:

That is my kind of refurb! So full of life and character now :)

7. Looking back over your last several projects and love them all – but you are right that this hutch is totally groovy!

8. This is FAB! I saw it and my heart went yay hehehe. If you check our my own DIY on Facebook, you will understand why – I love bright and happy pieces. It is so much fun.

9. Ming says:

How crazy is it that your hutch was a perfect match to the Eliz & Co. credenza… can you imagine if both pieces were done in the black milk paint… what a great room it would have been. Like your happy hutch, had it been black it would have been sleek.

10. Beth says:

I absolutely love the colors and your design on this one! It’s really stunning. (I can’t believe you are selling it so cheaply!!)
    I too love doing MCM pieces. I’ve done a similar hutch in white and turquoise. They are quite labor intensive but so worth it when it comes out like yours!
    I would love if you could stop by and take a look! They are all under “Gallery and For Sale” heading.